In an effort to better engage and encourage residents and businesses to take an active role in the city, Mayor Tom Kneeland has established Area Commissions to allow for more public involvement in decisions affecting commercial development, zoning, and economic development efforts. The goal of these commissions is to help build a better communication channel between the City and its residents, business owners, and developers.
The Area Commissions are a part of Mayor Kneeland's 10-point Plan or "Commitment to Gahanna"
and is in alignment with the City's strategic plan, Go Forward Gahanna
, which was adopted in 2016, and the Economic Development Strategy
adopted in December 2015.
FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES
The Area Commissions will serve as an advisory panel for City staff, the Gahanna Planning Commission, and Gahanna City Council. These commissions will fulfill their functions and duties with the overall goal to:
- Provide feedback by reviewing zoning, annexation, and conditional use proposals prior to review by the Planning Commission or City Council.
- Provide feedback by reviewing City projects, programs, and other items as initiated by the City.
- And, aid and promote communication between neighborhoods and the City by establishing five different area commission groups that align with city ward areas and the downtown business district.
AREA COMMISSION EVALUATION CRITERIA
The Gahanna Area Commission meetings are intended to enhance communication between applicants, City government, and community members for matters of growth and development. While the Area Commissions are an advisory body, they are asked to evaluate projects by the criteria that is
- Does the scale and use fit the context of the surrounding neighborhood and area?
- How could the proposal be improved?
- What are the outcomes of the proposal?
- How does the proposal fit the context in terms of pedestrian friendliness, scale, compatibility with surrounding uses, vehicular circulation, and traffic?
- General comments and suggestions
Area Commission Framework - provides an overview of the City of Gahanna Area Commission
Project Application - required to be completed by developers interested in submitting a project to the Area Commission.
For more information, contact the City of Gahanna Planning & Development department at 614.342.4015 or email email@example.com. Click here to view a detailed area map of the city and to find out what area you are eligible for.