What do I do if I have a water leak in my house?

If you have an unknown water leak inside your house or your pipes burst due to freezing temperatures, follow the steps below:

  1. Shut off the water line into your house at the master shutoff valve. This is typically located before your water meter (where the water line comes into the home from the street). This will stop the water from flowing out of the leak.
  2. If the water is still flowing from the leak after turning the shutoff valve, call the Department of Public Service and Engineering, Utility Billing Division at 614-342-4440. They will dispatch a utility crew to shut off your water from the curb box/street tap.
  3. Call a plumber to inspect the leak and perform repairs. A list of plumbers can be found in your local phone book. The City's utility crew are not licensed plumbers and cannot perform private water line repairs.

Show All Answers

1. What should I do if I have low water pressure?
2. Who is responsible for water leaks?
3. What do I do if the water is discolored or foul tasting?
4. How do I prevent pipes in my home from freezing during the winter? If one happens to freeze, can I thaw it out?
5. What do I do if I have a water leak in my house?